Thursday, December 15, 2011

Nan Goldin


 "My camera saved my life"
 The Guardian May 28 2008


                               


     Ι gave a lecture, she said, and I asked how many people still think a photograph can be real, and out of
150 people I think 5 raised their hand. And that's the whole reason I started taking photos: to make a record
against the revisionism, against any one revising my life or what I saw.

    Through her photographs I've learned about "the other photography", that one which shows situations and
persons that even you had met in your live, would be hard to come into theirs. Goldin is into their life, they
are part of her life.
    Because of that she knows how to keep balance between cruelty and sensitivity. In what other way can
somebody to represent the world of subculture, drag queens, gays, aids and hard drugs?
How to capture the pain, the despair along with the delight and the joy of life, of people that are socially
classified them in "sub"?
   Nan Goldin perfectly balances between "sub" and "super"...


  Books and other

1986  The Ballad of Sexual Dependency
1991  Cookie Mueller (exhibition catalogue)
1993  The Other Side
1993  Vakat
1994  Desire by Numbers
1994  A double life
1994  Tokyo Love
1995  The golden Years (exhibition catalogue)
1996  I'll Be Your Mirror
1997  Love Streams (exhibition catalogue)
1998  Ten Years After
1998  Couples and Loneliness
1999  Nan Goldin: Recent Photographs.
2001  Nan Goldin
2003  Devils Playground
2005  Soeurs, Saintes et Sibylles
2007  The Beautiful Smile
2009  Variety: Photographs by Nan Goldin


No comments:

Post a Comment